I remember my very first job working at Taco Bell. The manager had a series of videos for us to watch to see how to make the various foods. If I had known this, I would have bought a pad of paper to take notes on. But I didn’t and I was only 16 years old at the time. I didn’t have much experience cooking as I do now so I would have known that all the foods served had basically the same ingredients in them. Of course, some better or more than others, such as the Taco Supreme or the Nacho Grande. The guy and I watching the videos didn’t take them too seriously and the manager got mad because of that. That wasn’t the straw that broke the camel’s back. The straw that broke the camel’s back was that the manager found out that my sister worked there before. For some reason she didn’t like her. Anyway, what’s needed in the Kitchen of a fast food restaurant?
- Be clean – As in the case of Taco Bell people are going to be looking at you while waiting to be served their food. If you’re not clean, the food’s is probably not clean. And so it goes without saying.
- Be efficient – Nobody likes waiting for their food any longer than they have to. Always be on the lookout to make things more efficient. Always try to find a better way of doing things.
- Be a team player – No person is an island. There is a ripple effect that goes on and it affects the people who work there to your customers. Delegating makes things more efficient. Make sure you have just one chief and plenty of Indians though.
- Know what to do – Be sure to use your best communication skills. If not doing anything always ask for a way for you to be more helpful, which means take initiative. Always ask if there is anything more you can do. Never sit idle.
- Be friendly – Drop all your problems at the door of the kitchen and smile. Greet people. Tell them Hello. Ask them how they are doing. Take an interest. Give your co-workers the benefit of the doubt and be friendly.
As they say if you can’t take the heat, get out of the kitchen. Cooking at home and eating your own food helps too. There is plenty of stay-at-home Moms on cook shows like Food Fight who are beating professional chefs at their own game. Ask people how they like the food and how you can improve the food. Always try to make things better. Make sure you know how to cook the food. My sister cooked McDonald’s fish sandwiches wrong for several hours before someone pointed out that the fish was raw. You don’t want to overcook anything but you also don’t want to under cook anything either. Now go out there and make the kitchen a better place!